I just returned from Siren’s The Romance Convention in Dallas. It was an amazing time. I met so many wonderful people and definitely learned a thing or two. Many thanks to all the readers that volunteered to answer our questions. I thought I might share a few:
- Readers want your website up to date. Nothing frustrates them more to visit your site and its woefully out of date. Keep it current.
- Readers don’t like whiny heroines. ‘Nuff said.
- If they like your book, chances are they’ll buy the others, too. <Thank you, thank you!>
- Don’t use purple prose.
- Writers want to “Pay it forward”. They’re generous with their advice.
- Behind many successful writers is an understanding and supportive significant other/best friend.
- Writers are incredibly hard working. Okay, I already knew this one, but talking to these women (and men!) really brought this home to me. Many of these people write fifteen hours a day or more trying to get down on paper what the voices inside their heads are saying.
So my Siren sisters… what did you learn?